Saturday, December 4, 2010

ah, the little choices we make

ah, the little choices we make: "

Two years ago I did a radio interview about a company called “The Point”. The name of the company came from Malcolm Gladwell’s “The Tipping Point”. The idea was to use the web to facilitate collective action.


After the interview, I contacted the founder. We had lunch. He was brimming with ideas. But he was also really interested in… well… OrgTheory. He wanted to take the ideas we talk about on this blog and try to turn them into a company.


We talked a few more times after that. He wanted to know if I wanted to get involved. I decided it would be better to focus on my writing. But I did mention there were grad students who would love to spend time with his company; to mine it for data and hopefully help tweak the model too. In the end though, I couldn’t find anyone willing to pull themselves away from studies of status rankings and categorization.


By the by, Andrew Mason and I lost contact and that company became Groupon which has, apparently, been sold for $6 billion to Google.


Oops.



"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India